I have used the open source enterprise search platform Solr for a number of years now and on a recent project have been using the open source SolrNet .NET client library. The SolrNet library lacked a feature I required when used with the bundled Service Locator implementation. A number of people had been asking for the same feature so I decided to jump in and implement it.
This is my journey into learning Git, using GitHub and contributing to an open source project. I highly recommend the experience – you learn a great deal from reading and contributing to code that is so highly visible.
I have split my journey into the following 5 parts: